The Centre for Joining and Structures (CJS) is a platform for collaborative research within the area of joining technology. Research is performed in close collaboration with industry and the Swedish Welding Commission aiming to produce benefits for our members.
CJS connects member companies comprising of automotive, steel manufacturers, heavy vehicle producers, suppliers of welding equipment and consumables. Together we can solve common challenges efficiently.
Our research is typically motivated by these aspects:
- Lower emissions or improved capacity
- lighter materials
- high strength materials
- new material combinations (multi-material design)
- Improved life-span and quality
- fatigue properties/weld geometries
- corrosion resistance/joint design/new surface coatings
- cycle times
- improved joint quality
- automated NDT
Industrial benefits in focus
Project goals are set by member companies focusing on industrial relevance. Researchers are dedicated to working with projects within the research programme, the majority being IWE engineers. We have knowledge and experience within:
- Influence of joining process on materials
- Joint properties
- Advanced materials
- Resistance welding
- Arc welding (MIG/MAG, TIG, Plasma, Submerged arc)
- Beam processes (laser)
- Friction stir welding
- Hybrid welding
- Mechanical joining
Swerim researchers can also contribute with knowledge within materials characterisation, static and dynamic testing, virtual design, manufacturing and corrosion.
Read more about a selection of our projects:
- New patent-pending welding technology for tailored blanks.
- Transatlantic collaboration on new welding technology for General Motors.
- New method for quality-assuring welds.
Please contact us if you would like to become a member or if you have any questions.
Visit our joining lab and meet our researchers. Click on play!